Skip to content

Food Lion Awards Grant To Care & Share Food Pantry

Care & Share, the Triad Dream Center’s food pantry, recently received a $3,000 grant from Food Lion Charitable Foundation to assist with food acquisitions. While 67% of the food we receive comes from our partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank and 27% comes from donations, 10% of the food we distribute is purchased at retail. This grant will assist with and increase the level of food distributed to each individual family.

We serve an average of 450 families, representing 850 individuals, with 15,000 pounds of food each month. Nearly 86% of those that receive come every 60 days. The other 14% are first-time recipients, due to either loss of jobs or family changes. Economics play a major role in a families circumstances and we all know that the economy bas been in less than favorable conditions.

FoodLion_Logotype_2Line_CMYKEstablished in 2001, the Food Lion Charitable Foundation provides financial support for programs and organizations dedicated to improving the communities in which Food Lion operates. The Foundation places an emphasis on the support of primary and secondary education, feeding the hungry, and organizations that enhance the quality of life in Food Lion’s local communities.

Food Lion LLC is a subsidiary of Brussels-based Delhaize America. Food Lion LLC operates more than 1,300 supermarkets, either directly or through affiliated entities, under the names of Food Lion, Bloom, Bottom Dollar Food, Harveys and Reid’s. These stores meet local customer needs and preferences for the freshest and best quality products. Food Lion LLC employs approximately 74,000 associates in 11 Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states.

This is the sixth year that Food Lion Charitable Foundation has partnered with Care and Share to provide much needed food to the community. The 28,000 families served during this time period have expressed their gratitude to us and we would like to thank FLCF for their generous support. Without partners like FLCF, we would not be able to assist as many families as we do.